Congratulations! The pregnancy test confirmed what you suspected – your bundle of joy is on the way! Your body is amazingly providing all the nutrition that your baby needs – from an embryo to a fetus, until the moment you finally meet for the first time.
One way of ensuring that your baby gets all the good nutrients he/she needs is through breastfeeding. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life, followed by appropriate complementary foods for up to two years and beyond.
Did you know that breastfeeding is good not only for baby but for mom as well? Here are some benefits according to the WHO:
Benefits for Babies
- Provides all the energy and nutrient that the infant needs for the first months of life
- Continues to provide up to half or more of child’s nutritional needs up to the first year of life
- Promotes sensory and cognitive development
- Protects infants against infectious and chronic diseases
- Exclusive breastfeeding reduces infant mortality due to common childhood diseases such as diarrhea or pneumonia
- Quicker recovery time during illness
Benefits for Moms
- Contributes to the health and well-being of mothers
- Helps to space children
- Reduces the risk of ovarian cancer and breast cancer
- Increases family resources
Breastfeeding gives your baby more than just good nutrition and immunitiy, it also provides comfort and strengthens the bond between mom and baby. So latch on mommas!